Meeting Protocol and Rules of Decorum
In support of and respect for open, fair and informed decision-making process, the Board of Commissioners recognize that:
- Civil, respectful and courteous discourse and behavior are conducive to the democratic and harmonious airing of concerns and decision making; and
- Uncivil discourse and/or discourteous and inappropriate behavior have a negative impact ont he character and productivity of the decision-making process.
- In an effort to preserve the intent of open government and maintain a positive environment for citizen input and Commission decision-making, the following Meeting Protocol and Rules of Decorum have been adopted.
Compliance with the meeting protocol is expected and appreciated. A printable version of the Meeting Protocol is available. We encourage citizens familiarize themselves with these protocols prior to offering public comment.
- Public comment is encouraged and will continue to be listed as an agenda item at every regular County Commissioners meeting. The public comment period will be held near the beginning of the meeting.
- The Chairman will open public comment by announcing the allotted time provided for the comment period and for individual speakers. Each individual wishing to be heard during the public comment period, will be given up to 3 minutes to make a comment.
- Speaker names are called in numerical order. Please give your name and identify the item you will be addressing.
- The public comment period will not be used to air personal grievances, make political endorsements or for political campaign purposes, nor discuss matters which are the subject of public hearings. Speakers shall address all comments to the Commissioners as a whole and not to individual Commissioners. Discussions between speakers and members of the audience shall not be allowed.
- This time is for receipt of public comment not debate. The Chairman or Commissioners will not enter into a dialogue with citizens. Questions from the Commissioners will be for clarification purposes only. Public comment will not be used as a time for problem solving or reacting to comments made but, rather, for hearing the citizens for informational purposes only.
- The Board of Commissioners may assign staff to provide information requested by a speaker during the public comment period.
- The Board of Commissioners may elect to defer public comment on specific issues that appear on the regular agenda until that specific item is addressed.
- Anger, rudeness, ridicule, obscene or profane language, impatience and lack of respect for others and personal attacks are not acceptable behavior. Demonstrations in support or opposition to a speaker or idea are not permitted in the Commissioners Chambers. The Chairman is responsible for maintaining order. Failure to abide by this requirement may result in the forfeiture of the speaker’s right to speak.